Saturday, May 25, 2013

Wasted Worries {Pre-K Graduation}

On Thursday, the seemingly impossible happened.  Blayd graduated Pre-K.
I tell you, I didn't know if we would make it.
It has been a wild year.
His first day of Pre-K was the day after Nanny died.
Still seems unreal.
He was suffering and out of sorts.
And his first day in his new class was not an encouraging or positive one.
I still remember the tears and pain in his eyes when I picked him up that day.
Sadly, it seemed no one understood his broken heart like I did.
So, I let him take it easy.
And I kept him home with my Mom, where I knew he would be allowed to work through his grief.
When you've sat in your great-grandmother's lap almost daily since birth, the absence is REAL.
Even if you are only 4 years old, and don't have the words to express it.
So we waited.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
Gradually he got better, and he quit asking for Nanny.
He stopped asking to go to her house.
And I continued to ask him if he wanted to return to school.

The spoils of victory!  b picked these out online as his reward for graduating.
Finally in October, he did.  I eased him back in and he went a few days a week.
After Christmas, he settled more and more, but was still reluctant.
Daily, he would tell me he didn't want to go, but he did fine once he got there.
After Spring Break, I was more insistent with him, wanting him to use that time to get prepared for next year.
And by the end of the school, he was finally okay, and even playing with friends and enjoying himself.
Looking back, I remember that sense of panic I had in the Fall.
What would I do?  What if he didn't go to Pre-K at all?  Should I change schools?  Would he get in to the Magnet Program if he didn't attend Pre-K? on and on.
My head was a whirlwind of chaotic thoughts and worries.
I stayed sick about it and other things and relied on prayer.
And God delivered us through it.
b even had a speaking part at the graduation ceremony
I should have trusted that He would.
I should have spent less time worrying and more time enjoying my preschooler.
Because now my little one has graduated Pre-K, and passed the Magnet test, and will head to Kindergarten in the Fall.
And I am looking forward to a simplified life with having both B and b at the same school.
Thanks be to God.
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Philippians 4:6

5 comments:

  1. What a happy ending to very rough start to the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so darn cute up there on stage...and he looks so much like you Kerri! I admire you for letting him ease back into it. I wonder what I would have done...and hope that I would have made that same choice not to push.
    Enjoy those two boys of yours this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute. Wow, graduating pre-k. Sounds scary to me- ha! Celia has one more year of preschool and I'm already nervous. It's nice that you'll have them both in the same school next year. That will make drop offs and pick ups, etc so much easier and save you time. I'm glad he ended up having a good year after that rough start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favorite verse & I TOTALLY needed to be reminded of it today. Thanks for that! So glad everything is good with Blayd.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...