Wednesday, March 27, 2013

#40

I will be 40 tomorrow.  sigh
I went to renew my driver's license this week. I saw the picture and thought, who is that old woman?
In my mind, I look much younger than what I see in the mirror or in pictures.
Ridiculous vanity, I know.
I am not being melodramatic.
I didn't think the big 4-0 would bother me.
It kinda lurked beyond my focus for a while, somewhere in the distance.
But now, it is here.
I think if it were a happier time in my life, it might not bother me so much.
30 didn't bother me at all.
But as it is now, it just seems so final.
Youth. is. over.
Ages 25 - 35 were some of the happiest, and most fun years for me.
There may not be anymore carefree days like those ahead.
Ahead are the days when parents get older and ill.
Children get older and go through life struggles.
The body is aged and careworn.
The poor decisions and lack of planning during youthful years come back to haunt us.
And there is no "do over".
40...blah.

10 comments:

  1. Well that was depressing. My 40th is in Oct. & it's bothering me. I have a screwed up vision of myself. I keep thinking that I look younger than everyone else my age. Sadly, it's just not true. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! 40 seems young to me, but maybe that's wishful thinking since I'm well on my way there myself! ha. BUT, it is another year that God gave you, so it's a blessing! Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a ray of sunshine, haha :). Just remember 40 really is still young and you still have many good things ahead. It is weird though, how we think of and picture ourselves as being our younger selves. I do that too. Then I look in the mirror and see those wrinkles around my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 40 is still young! I think you look great, far from old. Happy Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Kerri! You are in luck because 40 is the new 30! Besides...you look great! I know exactly what you mean though about thinking in your mind you are much younger until you see a picture! I just turned 43 and I feel like all of a sudden I am noticing things I don't like on my face and trying all kinds of different wrinkle creams! Oh well...there's not much we can do about it so we might as well enjoy it. Have a FABULOUS day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri, you better be nice to yourself or I'm gonna come pluck your grey hairs! Happy Birthday! No matter what, I like you...Here's to 40!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be Happy! Life is a long road. No time for regrets. That life plan you had at 20.... well, you've probably figured out someone else had another plan. Enjoy the journey. 40 is just a little step along the way. Live, love and laugh! It's your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! I hope you have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had a wonderful birthday dear friend,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I missed it. I love keeping up with you on Instagram, but I still missed it. Happy 4-0! It will be okay. You are wise and smart and know who you are. Not like when you were young. Believe me...you will love it...and you look 25 anyway, so that's even better. Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...