Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Christmas Elf is Back! {Elfie} {Elf on the Shelf}

It's that time of year again!  Some love it, some hate it, and some just find it plain creepy, but this week, our Christmas Elf, Elfie, has returned!

If you are unfamiliar with The Elf on the Shelf Christmas tradition, essentially the elf sits on a shelf (or somewhere) and flies back to the North Pole each night to report to Santa on who is naughty or nice.  Kids are not allowed to touch him, or his magic will disappear.  In addition, he appears in a new place each morning and it is a game to find him and see what he has been up to overnight.
Several of my friends are totally annoyed with this emerging trend.  I can't blame them!
Who has time for anything extra these days? In addition, thanks to blogs, pinterest, instagram, etc., the bar has been set high for creative Elf activity.
This year, in my quest to force myself to make the holidays fun for the kids, I have commited to making the effort.
I am not sure whether either of my boys, aged 6 and 5, really buy it, but they enjoy it.
I am sad to report, however, we already had an injury this year.  b (age 5) just couldn't resist and secretly touched the elf with the tip of his finger.  He didn't know I saw him, so both boys were quite surprised to find Elfie in his "sick bed" the next morning.
We were so thankful to read he was feeling better and b said,
 "I promise not touch Elfie, adain."
It seems Elfie might have decided to get even the next day by playing a little trick on the boys.  He wrapped up their bookbags!
Unfortunately, it went over like a lead balloon. 
The boys mistakenly thought Elfie had brought them real gifts,
 and were so disappointed to find it was just a trick.
B pointed out that it "sure was a waster of paper".
In retrospect, Elfie should have left the straps exposed
so it would have been more obvious that it was a joke.
I am hoping for better results in the morning, when they awake to find this...
After all, boys think anything to do with "the potty" or bodily functions is hysterical, right?
We'll see!

Happy Thursday!
To see other "C" posts, visit Mrs. Jenny here!

8 comments:

  1. A waster of paper!! lol Too cute! I'm not sure my boys but it this year either. They saw a bunch of Elves at Target so think that gave it away. My youngest boy has touched the elf this year too with his finger, like Taylor does to Chippey in the cartoon. Elfing sure is fun for the whole family though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative post and wonderful photography ~ love the elf and your boys are adorable ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^ (artmusedog ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our elf, George (yes, the kids named him George!), is a very lazy fellow. He hasn't moved from our fireplace mantel yet! He just sits there like a bump on a log! Maybe he will find some more motivation soon! The picture of your boys when he wrapped their backpacks is HYSTERICAL! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ideas! Our elf, Chris, just moves from spot to spot. No trickery, no games. Maybe in the coming years when the girls are a little older and can appreciate his shenanigans!

    Even though it is one more thing to do, it's fun to watch Libby spring out of bed to find Chris. That makes the 5 am "oh crap I forgot to move the elf" moments worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of Elf on the Shelf until he came to Hallmark where I used to work. It's a cute tradition! I would have done it when my kids were little! Love Elfie's note and sick bed -- I'm glad he was feeling up to his old pranks again with the tp!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Elf has had some adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really brought some well-needed Cheer my way today...

    Such a super Cute and Creative post for the letter C...

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...