Friday, September 14, 2012

Dear Nanny {Hello from below}

Things are real empty now.  
Furniture is gone.
  Walls are bare.  
Lots of echos all around.
The boys had one last round in your old washtub.  I am certain you would have enjoyed that.
Blayd has stopped asking to come to your house every morning, and he is drinking the Koolaide I make, even though I can't get your special mix of flavors right.
I am really enjoying your washing machine.  It is so quiet and works so well compared to the old clunker I had.
We can't find your Mother's ring, or a certain key we are looking for, but I guess it really doesn't matter.
Something special happened this week, for Brodie and for me, and I really wanted to tell you about it, but, maybe you already know.
September is here, and it is starting to cool off now, but no one can make vegetable soup like you did.  
I hope you can't see your Auburn Tigers.  You wouldn't be thrilled, and I know exactly what you would say and who you would trace their situation back to.
I came across a random, ordinary picture of you this week.  Looking at it gave me the strangest feeling.  It was like I had found something I had lost or bumped into someone I hadn't seen in a long time.
And just this morning, I heard a random song on the radio, and it made me think of you and cry at the red light on Stadium Drive.
But then I looked up at the clouds, and thought about where you are, and my heart didn't hurt as much.
Dreams,
That’s where I have to go
To see your beautiful
Face, anymore
I stare at a picture of you
And listen to the radio

Hope, hope there's a conversation
We both admit we had it good
But until then its alienation I know that much is understood,
And I realize...

If you ask me how I'm doing
I would say I'm doing just fine

I would lie and say that you're not on my mind
But I go out, and I sit down at a table set for two
And finally I'm forced to face the truth
No matter what I say I'm…

Not over you.

                                                                                                               ~Gavin DeGraw



3 comments:

  1. what a wonderfully sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post Kerri. I can by your words how much she was loved by all of you.
    Just a thought- have you made your boys memory books of her and them? Something they can keep and look through whenever they want? I did this for Brady in a different way w/ a cabin book, so he would never forget all of our memories of this special place. It's a hardback shutterfly book, and he loves it. It might be too soon for you to do this...but they sure would make great Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...