Friday, August 3, 2012

Yesterday was Rough

My grandmother, Nanny, is preparing to leave us.
Hospice has advised our only concern is to keep her comfortable and painfree.
We are to offer food and liquids, but not insist.
She has not eaten in days, and drank very little.
Her body is shutting down.
She hasn't been conscious much in the last few days,
and when she is "awake" she can barely speak
and is very confused.
Since she has been sick, she has stayed worried about her business matters.  
She has been an independent woman, who survived on her own, throughout her whole life.
It has been hard for her mind to let go of the obligations and duties in caring for her household, bills, etc.
As her power of attorney, 
I met with a business person on her behalf yesterday, at her home.
He asked to see her, and to see her demonstrate that she was unable to sign on her own.
He wasn't being cruel, he was just protecting her interests,
as she has entrusted him to do.
We woke her and tried to explain who was coming in the room and why.
She was wide-eyed and confused.
I asked her if she could sign her name.
She gave me a blank stare.

I gently took her cupped hand from under the blanket and placed the pen in her fingers.
There was no movement.
She looked deep into my eyes searching.
I bent down over her and hugged her, whispering in her ear,
"I am so proud of you, Nanny, you did so good."
She smiled and whispered, "Thank you."
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. I love you my friend, and I am praying for you to find peace in all this chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that her time is coming to an end. I hate that you have to endure such pain. You are such a good Christian woman. I know you will find comfort in His word. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts.
    ~Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri,
    I am so sorry to hear your time with your granny is coming to a close. Grannies are special people and God knew what he was doing when he assigned each one of us someone special. Prayers and thoughts of comfort are with you and your family. I am sure she wishes she had the strength to tell you that you, too "did so good."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry!!! Nothing ever prepares us for it - even though we know it's coming. You are in my thoughts and prayers as is your whole family. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that. You wrote this post so beautifully. When my grandmother passed recently, this is how it was with her too. She wasn't eating or drinking, and was sleeping most of the time. We knew it was coming soon, and were just waiting and preparing for it. I'm sure your Nanny is already feeling at peace. You have shown her so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last paragraph really did me in. Your grandmother is so proud of you...and how blessed she is to have you by her side. Saying a prayer for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last bit sent me to tears. Y'all are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...