Thursday, August 16, 2012

Under the Flowers and Above the Clouds {Alphabe-Thursday Letter M}

The boys did well at the funeral on Tuesday.  
When we arrived, Blayd said again,
"Oh poor Nanny!  She died!"  We did not allow them in until the casket was closed.  
I just thought it might be too much.
I wished so badly she could have see them in their shirts and ties.
She would have beamed with joy at them - and at the flowers, 
which were absolutely gorgeous.
It was a beautiful mixture of flowers, specially selected by my Aunts, 
with red and pink roses for the children and grandchildren, 
and a single yellow rose for my Aunt Susan, who died six years ago.
We buried Nanny with her "chemo quilt".  When she first got "the cancer" 6 years ago, we all signed the quilt, drew around our hands, and wrote notes of encouragement.  
She used it every day at chemo and she loved it.
It was only fitting that it go with her.
We also put her nursing pin under her hands.  
She was a nurse for 21 years and it was one of the greatest joys of her life.
At graveside, Blayd asked, "Is Nanny going to lay down under the flowers?"
told him she was, that her body was.  
He asked me where she was.  
I told him in Heaven.
He asked me where that was and I said, it was "way up above the clouds".
He asked, "When is she going to come back down from the clouds?"
I had no answer for that.

{M is for In Memory}
for more M posts, visit Mrs. Jenny here



6 comments:

  1. Though I haven't read your blog before, I feel your pain over the loss of someone who was obviously loved by everyone in her family. It sounds like you did a wonderful job with your children--they were there to bear witness to a significant family event but you still managed to shield them from the visual images they might not be able to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. It's always sad when a loved one departs. It sounds like you'll carry many sweet memories with you until you meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so lovingly of your Nanny and the family that surrounded her with love. I think you handled a very difficult and sad experience for you and the children so well. A very meaningful post for letter M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad but sweet at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, bless you sweet girl.

    I can't imagine the pain of this memorial for you.

    The innocence of children can be so bittersweet.

    Sending a hug and a special prayer of peace to you as you continue this sad journey through loss.

    Thank you for letting me share this with you.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you said just the right thing to your son. And yes, those are gorgeous flowers and what wonderful symbolism to them.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...