Sunday, June 17, 2012

VBS and Other Godly Influences


This past week, B attended VBS at his old Preschool (b's current school).  b refused to stay at VBS.  He could not handle the fact that his class was in a different room with a different teacher other than his regular one.  I was sad.  A little "selfishly" sad, as I was looking forward to some free morning time to run some errands, but mostly sad because I want him to love VBS as much as B always has, and to have that Godly influence.  But, he refused to stay and in further protest, wouldn't even wear the t-shirt.

At the beginning of the week, I met B's leader, who was an older man named Mr. Cliff.  I have to admit, I was skeptical.  I wondered if he would be able to handle a group of young boys.  During the week, I noticed he did seem very pleasant, energetic, and active during Worship time, and encouraging to the kids in trying to win the "spirit" contests.  

On Friday, after the end-of-the-week song program, B told me, "Mr. Cliff wasn't here today and we sure did miss him!  We had some hard stuff to do, and Mr. Cliff is tall and smart and older, and helps us with hard stuff."
I felt bad for ever doubting God's placement of B in Mr. Cliff's class.
I so desperately want for my boys to have a foundation of faith.  
Sometimes, I feel like a terrible failure.  
I am thankful God puts men like Mr. Cliff in B's life to help fill in the gaps.  
Which also reminded me that at our church a few weeks ago, I tried to break routine and attend the Saturday night service, and B threw a fit saying, "Will Mr. Josh be there?!"  
I am ashamed to say, I have no idea who Mr. Josh is.  I had no idea that Brodie even had a regular teacher he connected with on Sunday mornings (our church  is new & still developing).
So apparently, God is watching, and is using his servants to help me in leading my boys.  Even when I am too busy to notice.

Friday night, after the last day of VBS, B got out his Bible and asked to see the stories he heard during the week.  He wanted to copy all of them down [my little anal retentive list maker].  I explained that while it was a good idea, it might take a lonnngggg time.  As an alternative, I showed him how I mark verses and notes in my Bible, and he got right to work marking in his.  I also showed him my journal and now he wants one, too, so he can copy favorite verses like I do.  Maybe there is hope for us, yet.

5 comments:

  1. Kerri, I just love your real mom perspective on life and raising kids. I have never thought to teach Cole or Emma how I mark in my bible or journal for that matter. Thank you for being so real, and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A picture is truly worth a thousand words in that last shot of Brodie marking in his Bible...I love it! I'm hoping the girls like VBS next year when they are old enough to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, that's awesome! It sounds like you're doing a great job with your kids. Don't ever doubt yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sad that b didn't want to stay and enjoy VBS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri, you are doing a wonderful job with your boys. I loved what B said about Mr. Cliff being tall and smart and older and helping with the hard stuff. How cute is that?! And I love what you said about God putting other people in place to fill in the gaps. I've never thought of it that way...love it!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...