Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Remember that Time the Canadian Went to Costa Rica? {catching up}

So, one of those things I never blogged about was the Canadian's trip to Costa Rica.  He went with MyChurch, back in December.  If you have followed this blog for a while, it began as a trip to Haiti, but then our church had to change the location for various reasons.
So anyway, how in the world did he end up on this trip?  He has a strong sense of adventure, a love for travel, and a desire to help others who are less fortunate.  God worked out the rest, and even provided donations through our family and friends.  It was unreal as I sat back and watched it all unfold. 
Apparently, God is way better at running things than I am. 
In thinking back, I find it really amazing how God can use a man like my husband.  A man who was not raised in a Christian setting.  A man who has never owned or opened a Bible.  A man who has never been baptized.  
A man who was even ridiculed by some of his friends for going on this trip.
It just goes to show that you don't have to wait until you are perfect to do something.  Especially when there is no such thing as perfect, anyway.  

I knew he would not come home as some magical perfect person after the trip, too.  In fact, I suspected that sneaky devil would come hard at Doug and me.  And he did.  But this time, I was ready.  I recognized satan's tricks immediately and as a result,  it passed without any significant incident. 
so poo poo on you devil
What did happen is that in addition to helping the homeless and destitute people of Costa Rica,  the old Mann developed a real friendship with some of the guys on the trip, including our pastor, Jeff.  He now feels Jeff is 100% legit in his passion for what he is doing with our church.  This has been an amazing change in perspective for someone who had been instinctively critical of church and church people (which includes me) in general.  It is also an answer to a longtime ongoing prayer of mine, that the Lord will bring some strong male Christian friends into our lives.  
Thank you Lord for answering prayers.
This trip also taught me that God will work things out in his own time.  I am now more than hopeful for the future to see what things He will do in our family's journey.  And in the mean time, I will pray, study and cling to the Word, and know that I am not in control, and that is a very good thing!

6 comments:

  1. I had been waiting to hear how the Costa Rica trip went! Love this post and seeing God at work! And hooray for us not being in control...thank goodness!! I screw it up everytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRAISE GOD!!!!!! I love your heart, friend!!! LOVE!

    What awesome images....thanks for sharing!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story Kerri. I'm so glad it was such a positive experience for your husband. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kerri! I had chills while reading this!! What a beautiful story!! And it was all in HIS plan. You are such an inspiration and I am so glad to call you my friend!! Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad God answered your prayers and the Canadian realized that church people aren't bad. I hate there were people who ridiculed him for going on the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed at how some people are so full of love and sense of helping. Your husband really is a great example of God's love in this world.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...