Thursday, January 26, 2012

J is for Jennifer {Courthouses, Marriages, and Texts - oh my!}

Jennifer is my baby sister. 
I can't say "little sister", as she has been taller than me since she was a preteen. 
I can't say "younger sister", because that indicates that I am older. and I am by 7 years
So, even though she is over 30, she is still my baby sister.
Last week, I received a text message from her that went like this...

"Hey.  Terry and I got married at lunch."

Now, blog friends, I ask you, is this acceptable?!?

I responded, "Oh really."
Frankly, it was all I could think of to say!
She and Terry have been dating and cohabitating for years, now, but still.
Moments later I received a text from my Mother that went like this...
"DID YOU JUST GET A TEXT FROM JENNIFER?"
Classic Jennifer.  Insert flashabck to when she slipped my Mother a note in her purse to announce that she was pregnant with my niece 13 years ago.
A little later, in our texting, Mother mentioned that she had investigated a bit and inquired as to if there was a reason for the sudden marriage, and there wasn't.  
They had just "been thinking about it for a while and decided to do it".
Really.
Well, had I known, I could have at least shown up on my lunch break with a Happy Meal or something for the bride and groom.  
Nevertheless, they are married just the same.
My Aunt Made them a cake after the fact.  It was delicious.
So that is how it went down, in C-town.  Baby sister went off to the court house and got married and we all received a text message.
My Dad doesn't own a cell phone.  Wonder if he knows yet?????

other "J" posts here...

Jenny Matlock

18 comments:

  1. That is crAzy! Were you totally annoyed? Or is it just something she would do? Actually, I can picture my brother doing the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! That has to hurt. Have you spoken to her since?

    Congrats on your new BIL! :)

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy post, a "Just Married" J post for Miss Jenny's weekly assignment. Congrats to the bride & groom. Ooh, what a pretty cake your aunt made for them and it looks delicious, too. Yum! Don't you just love wedding cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! I think this is Jennifer - low key and non-dramatic. I laughed at your Happy Meal comment. I might have even sprung for #1 meal from Chick-fil-a! ;)

    Congrats Jennifer and Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, this crazy world in which we live... congrats to Jennifer...could you text her for me, please? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it wrong that I think it's funny and I'd totally do something like that?? LOL! I don't like to draw a lot of attention, in person anyway, so I rather do it small & simple like that & then let people know. It's sort of like eloping right?? I know some get hurt over things like that cause you want to be involved or in the know but sometimes it's just easier to do it, especially if you've already been with the person for so long. They usually mean no harm to those they love:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Jennifer & Terry!

    Visiting from Mrs Matlock’s,

    Have a great Alphabe-Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like something my older sister would do. She likes to keep things simple, and she doesn't like a lot of attention.

    Hey, at least they they let you know, right?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief! That's crazy!! At least you're used to it??? HA! I love wedding cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Umm, lets not knock the courthouse. It worked quite well for Les and I.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister did that the day before we all arrived for a reunion. She didn't want any fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kerri, after having sooo many years of my family trying to interject themselves into my life for no good reason other than being nosey and controlling, I applaud your sister for living her own life the way that is best for her. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I were related to her I still wouldn't know. I don't even have texting as part of my cell phone plan. I hope they have a long and happy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. she sounds like a free spirit! I say that without regret because I got married at the courthouse too. But I had only been living with my DH for about 1½ years. The other thing is she may not have wanted to make a big deal about it and spend a lot of $$... {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is kinda hilarious ... i mean who does that??? ... You little sister must be an interesting person!!! Congrats to them both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ouch! This must sting just a tiny bit...I'm happy your sister is finding happy...but you sound like the kind of sister that would have rejoiced with her and that has to leave at least a tiny mark on your heart!

    Congratulations to your little Sis and a big hug to you!

    Thanks for sharing this little story with us for the letter "J".

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is kind of hilarious. I like it to be honest. I wished our wedding wasn't as much of a do as it was and it was tiny in our teeny backyard.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...