Monday, October 3, 2011

miscellany monday {October pool} {pumpkin} {sweet potatoes} {anniversary}

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

{1} October in Georgia


Yes, these were taken yesterday as B and b hit the pool.  Although it has cooled off here (by our standards) these two had a little swim left in them.  Also, poor B couldn't swim the last couple of weeks due to the incisions from his surgery, so I am glad he got one more time in.  He was cleared by the surgeon on Friday, and still has to wait 2 more weeks before returning to sports, but he is clear to return to school today.  I wish he was excited about that, but he is not.


{2} Sweet Potato Fries Fail

I tried to make sweet potato fries this weekend.  They did not turn out right!  I watched a demo on a cooking show which said to cut them, toss in evoo and salt, then bake until crisp (tossing often).  They turned out soggy - boo!  Do you think it was the glass dish?  Would a pan make them crisp?


{3} Got Pumpkin?
I am getting a little worried about the possible pumpkin shortage.  I was reminded by Kerri (yep, she spells it the same!) to stock up this weekend.  On Friday, I got the last 3 cans off of the shelf at the corner Piggly Wiggly!  I wondered if they had more in the back. On Sunday, I noticed they had put out some "off brand" so I picked up a couple of them too.  Desperate times call for being safe rather than picky! (haha) 



{4}  Speaking of Pumpkin, Coffee, and Anniversaries

I made my first of the 2011 Fall pumpkin muffins!  They were fun to have around on a weekend when you can feel the crispness of Fall in the air.  I will post the how-to's on these later in the week, but they went perfect with a big pot of coffee the Canadian and I shared on Sunday.  It was our anniversary and I summed it up on Facebook like this...
"So Doug and I celebrated our anniversary at MyChurch, Subway, B&N, and best of all - home - doing nothing but drinking coffee and hanging out with B and b. Great day! :)"
We have been together since 1998, but only married for the last 7 years.  It truly seems like  we have always been together.  I can hardly remember the times B.D. (before Doug) and if you knew anything about my previous relationship, you would know that's a good, good thing!
 Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you found pumpkin! Is the corner store really called Piggly Wiggly?! That' funny!

    Sweet potato fries are my favorite. I like to bake them on a cookie sheet...I don't even flip mine. They will get soggy if there's too much oil on them. I toss them in a freezer bag with just a little evoo and salt so they can coat evenly. I remember the first time I made them they were soggy. But don't give up! They are soooooo good...especially if you dip them in maple syrup (instead of ketchup!)
    Happy Annniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Dean & I have been together since 1998, our anniversary is tomorrow (the 4th) but we've been married 8 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaune makes sweet potato fries all the time just the way you did them. They never turn out crispy - they're not supposed to. I love them baked in the oven with olive oil and cajun seasoning. In our cafeteria at work they deep fry them - that's how they get crispy but then it defeats the purpose of healthy fries.

    I'm so glad to hear that B is back. And also, what a beautiful wedding picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
    I am glad B got to swim some more this year and get back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, congrats on 7 years!!! we will celebrate 7 in december.

    my sweet potato fries turn out soggy too! and i can never ever crisp them no matter how long i leave 'em in. i feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...