Monday, May 2, 2011

Curious George Goes Green

So I should really ban my children from watching PBS's Curious George.  It tends to put lots of extra work on me.  The show is geared toward encouraging math and science concepts, and let me just say - it works!  I cannot tell you how many times B has orchestrated an investigation of something he saw on that show. 

One time he was insistent on finding a book on "germs" like the one George had because he "really needed to learn all about germs".  That week, I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find anything in the kid sections around town.  At the time, I had not seen the show, and wasn't really certain of what B wanted.  I decided to see if I could search for the show online to get a better idea of what I was looking for.  In 5 minutes or less, I googled "Curious George and germs", quickly found the show, linked out to Amazon, and was able to watch it on demand for $3.  Technology can be AMAZING.  While watching the episode, B asked me for my phone.  He turned on the camera function and held it up and waited.  He finally got to the page in the book he was interested in and "snap" this is what he got:


He then asked me to send the picture to our Aunt Lynn.  He thinks she is a professional shopper (which isn't far from the truth) and that she can find anything.  I thought it was pretty ingenuous of him to be such a problem solver!


But, I digress!  This post was not supposed to be about Curious George Inside Story, but about Curious George Goes Green!

So, B was watching Curious George Goes Green Saturday night and decided that we needed to plant a garden.  He got out some paper and drew up a plan of the garden and a list of everything we would need.  He was so excited he said he hoped to dream about that garden that night and couldn't wait until the next day.  Now I am not always able to accommodate all of the massive plans B makes, but he was so excited I knew I was going to have to do something.
After church Sunday, we went to the store, B with list in hand, found all of the things we needed and put them in the basket.  I tried my best to reign him in on some things.  He was insistent on needing a "garden hat" and luckily we found one for $2.50.  I wouldn't let him have "garden shoes" as he already has a pair of rain boots he could wear.

There wasn't an easy place in our yard to plant this garden.  I decided to clear out a spot in the flowerbed.  I wish I had taken a before picture, because it was full of stuff I had to pull out. About 2 minutes into the task, B was sighing about how "hard" gardening was and about how "long" it was going to take and he was "hot" and "needed water".  All this while he watched me work of course!  Anyway, I survived it all and after a while he was thrilled to be able to use the shovel to plant the seeds and the watering can to water them.  


Later, b, who had been napping came out.  He went right to the hat and watering can and demanded that he get to water the plants.  I think he must have seen the episode, too!


He was still a little sleepy.
I do find it interesting that my boys just naturally love to dig in the dirt.  It is something inside of them.  It makes me sad that we are so far from those early days when people had farms and small gardens, because it seems like a natural desire and interest for them - probably for lots of boys.

I am sure I didn't follow too many of the gardening rules.  There were probably too many seeds planted, too close together, in the wrong spot, etc.  But that wasn't really the point.  I figure if they come up, we can sort them out later.  It was really just about B planning something, gathering materials and following through.  Now we will just suffer through the wait.  First thing this morning he was asking me if I thought the plants were growing yet and he was reminding me that he had to go outside and take care of them.  I reminded him that Curious George did not see carrots for 66 days.  We may need to start marking the calendar!



4 comments:

  1. My nephew loves Curious George. He's almost 2 so I guess this type of thing is in our future! I love B's hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good mom Kerri! My son has been asking me if we can have a garden...so I bought him a strawberry kit thinking that might do for now! We just don't have a good spot for a garden! You're right...boys are just drawn to digging in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to help with one request from the show. I loved those books as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning from Tokyo!

    Kerri, there is something to be said for educational television. It's a shame people are always trying to take funding from PBS. You're such a good mother to nurture and encourage your children's interests and curiosities. I cannot wait to see how your garden turns out with B's assistance.

    With Madeline, I did the same thing. She was into snakes and repitles thanks to an episode from Sesame Street and she was a little Herpatologist by a months end!

    So glad to see you're doing well!

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...