Thursday, April 7, 2011

Namaste' and a 5k

I have been on a bit of a hiatus lately, as we have been having a busy Spring Break.  I have many things to catch up on!  Today, I'll start with a fitness confession...

I have been so out of balance lately.  I have been running in way too many directions.  Thankfully, I am not working my second job this term.  Somehow, instead of feeling more at peace, I have still felt stressed.  I think I am having a hard time "coming down" to a "less busy" state of being.  I have been visited by my old friend anxiety, as I keep feeling like there is something I have forgotten to do... but there's not.  In addition to panic attacks, my tmj has flared up, and my neck is out of whack again.  Good grief - I sound like a 90 year old lunatic!
Anyway, since my back and neck have been bothering me, I decided to pull out my favorite yoga dvd.  In the past, I was a yoga regular.  LOVED it.  Took classes, and practiced at home as well.  Always enjoyed those workouts -  with the exception of that time on the Disney Cruise...I don't care how much of an expert you are, I do NOT recommend yoga on a cruise ship until you are certain you have your sea legs - TRUST me on that one!

Anyway, being pregnant 3 times took the wind out of my sails a bit.  Pregnancy often affects your center of gravity, and for me, it took a long while to recoup.  Couple that with just getting out of the habit and out of shape, blah, blah, blah.

So there I was last night and tonight, enjoying my yoga practice with, a bit of a head rush...but not too bad.  I was surprised at how well I felt in general, even though every bone in my body cracked at some point.  
What was most shocking to me was that I was able to hit and hold crow
More on crow here
probably better than I ever have....which has made me feel real guilty.  
You see, that particular asana was always very challenging, even when I was in much better shape.  Shame on me!  My poor physical body is trying to hang in there for me and I have been totally disrespecting it.  I having been doing lots to support my spiritual health lately, but I have been terribly inconsistent with supporting my physical being.

At our Weight Watchers meeting today, we had an introduction to our 6 week training program for the upcoming Weight Watchers 5k in May 2011.  You can read more about the Weight Watchers Walk-It Challenge here.  Last summer, I ran/walked my 1st 5k.  I have set a goal to beat that time, but more importantly than that, I am going to use this 6 weeks of training to really try to focus on good, overall physical health.  I owe it to my body.  I owe it to my spirit.  Everything should be in balance.

I'll keep you posted...and until then, 
the light in me honours the light in you...namaste'!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your upcoming 5K! That's awesome girl.

    So proud of you:)

    Hope your weekend is great,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, CROW is impressive!!! That is soooo awesome you can do it. I'm in my 3rd month of Yogalates & sometimes it's hard to go but once I finish I'm always glad I pushed myself. Congrats on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaste girl! Work those "innards" in crow pose and work your mind and body always! Yoga has been in our life for a HUGE reason!! Whether it matches in philosophy or not, we have both been drawn to it, I think because we need that quiet-no-stress-peace-of-mind comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you do owe it to your body - we all do I think. Our bodies work so hard - especially growing those babies! I feel like my body is out of balance too. If I sit on the floor with the kids for longer than ten minutes - I can barely get up. Now who's the 90 year old lunatic?

    Thank you friend for taking the time to visit me at Blogher. It really meant a lot to me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...