Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reflection on Fasting

Sorry, this is a long post, mainly just to record my thoughts, feel free to skim or pass!
So, as of Monday Morning, March, 21st, I will have completed my first ever fast.  Our church has fasted and prayed for 21 days.  Everyone did their own version.  Some fasted and consumed only liquids, some fasted specific things like sweets, meals, diet coke, television, facebook, etc.  I fasted all coffee and all Starbucks.  As you may know, I have a deep relationship with Starbucks - drinks and sweets!  Remember my love of their cupcakes?  I also consider coffee my life's blood.  I drink way too much to be totally honest.

I wasn't sure if I could complete the fast, but I did it!
There were some exceptionally tough moments, like attending freezing cold soccer games in the rain, stressful moments at work, late nights up working, early mornings after being up late working, the change to daylight savings time, the fact that my weekly Bible Study group meets at Starbucks weekly, the fact that my kids asked to go to Starbucks, receiving my Sweet 15 Free Drink card in the mail (thanks Satan)...I had serious thoughts about chewing on coffee grounds, and wondered if that would be cheating.  I am serious!

We fasted to hear from God and to connect with Him.
I wasn't sure that anything would really happen to me.  Each week, our Pastor spoke about hearing amazing stories about changed lives, healing and other seemingly miraculous things.  Somewhere past the halfway point, I remember thinking that it was great for them, but that nothing really amazing had happened to me.  It was at that moment, that I glanced over and looked at my husband sitting beside me in church.  Okay, maybe I was a little slow due to the lack of coffee that morning (and for the last few weeks), but at this point, I finally woke upThis man, who I have prayed over daily and asked God to lead him to be a positive spiritual influence for our kids, this man who didn't grow up in any church, was never baptized, and is still figuring things out, this man who attended church twice last year, attended church twice during this time of fasting.  How could I have missed that?  In addition, we have been through some stressful circumstances over the last 6 months, and during these 21 days, we have gotten along better than we have in years and somehow have been able to keep the outside stressors from interfering with us.  
Now that I am awake, I can truly acknowledge that it has been amazing.  As I reached this last week and reflected on all that has happened, in addition to renewal in my relationship, I just felt led to fast dinner as well as the coffee for the remaining 7 days.  Thank you Lord.  Thank you for reminding me of the early days of Kerri & Doug, and why we got together in the first place...




I am honestly a little scared for the fast to end, but even still,
  I will be seeing that glorious green mermaid in the morning...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! that is amazing. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last picture of you two. I'm not a coffee-holic but I would find it hard to give up the one or two cups I have a day. So kudos to you for challenging yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...