Saturday, March 5, 2011

80s Music Flashback


Time (Clock Of The Heart) - Culture Club


Favorite Lyric:
Don't put your head on my shoulder
Sink me in a river of tears

This could be the best place yet

But you must overcome your fears

Flashback: When I was in 3rd or 4th grade, my Dad came home with a 45 record of Do You Really Want to Hurt Me by Culture Club.  Side note:  My dad has always been into music, especially popular music and it was not uncommon for him to come home with the latest and greatest. He was all excited, telling me that the song was sung by someone named Boy George and that he dressed like a girl!  This was rather shocking for those of us living in 1983.  The only makeup we'd really seen on men was KISS and that was a whole different story.  
Now these days we'd crank up the internet and find out immediately about this supposed man dressing as a girl.  In 1983, you had to wait until pictures came out in the newspaper, a magazine, or on TV.  We were very excited when we finally saw Boy George on MTV for the first time and found that it was true!  His hair and makeup were definitely feminine.  And while it was suggested in whispers that he may be "funny" it was not discussed that he might be "gay".  Around here, it was not trendy to be outwardly gay in the early 80s, like it seems to be now.  You just didn't talk about such things.
I didn't like the song Time (Clock of the Heart) back then.  It made me feel creepy.  It made me feel like life was so short and soon enough I'd be old and dead and there was just never enough time in life.  I was in THIRD GRADE for Heaven's sake!  Why was I so busy worrying about losing my life rather than living it?? 
I preferred Culture Club songs like Karma Chameleon and Miss Me Blind. 

Flash Forward:  Turns out, my favorite Culture Club song ended up being Time (Clock of the Heart). A few years back, one of the local radio stations started playing a Totally 80s weekend, and Time was often playing when I was relaxing in the sunshine by the pool (pre-B and b of course).  These days when I hear this song,  I feel happy and smile thinking about those fun days gone by and how so many worries I had back then never came to pass.  It's a shame I can't have that time back.

Click here to listen to..Time

and be sure to enjoy all of the time you have - no worries, mates!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning from Tokyo!

    Oh, does this take me back! My parents were uber conservative and protective~when they purchased Bon Jovi's New Jersey for me (in record form no less) it was a huge step. It's so cool that your dad was hip to the times.

    I loved "Time"! Thank you for sharing.

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Some of the 80s fashions were just terrible weren't they? But the music was great

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister and I were just talking about this, how easy it is to access information. Not all good if you ask me. I remember when this song came out too. It was when we lived in Tucson. MTV had just hit.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...