Sunday, February 13, 2011

{s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine crafts} v.5 ~Gr@nd Fin@le!~

{s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine crafts}
valentine's day decorating series, part 5, GRAND FINALE!

Welcome to part 6, the ~Gr@nd Fin@le~ of  {s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine crafts} series!  
If you missed previous posts, check them out here

For this Valentine yarn wreath you will need:
     1. visit the tutorial here
     2. wreath
     3. yarn
     4. various colors of felt
     5. pins
     6. scissors
     7. hot glue (optional)

Okay, so I saw this tutorial on making a yarn wreath, and since then, I have seen a few others making them in blogland.  I knew I wanted to try to make one, because you know I am a non-crafter and it looked like something I could do - that might actually look a little impressive!


Mistake 1:  I took the plastic off of the wreath!  Don't do that!  I was thinking that the yarn would "stick" better to the rough edges.  It just made a terrible mess and was so difficult to work with.



step 1: wrap yarn around the wreath
Wrapping the yarn around the wreath took a long time.  I am a recovering perfectionist, and I really really wanted the yarn to be straight, tight, and pretty - but, I did not have enough time for that and I had a 3 year old pulling on it every 5 minutes, so couple that with the "plastic removal debacle" and mine didn't turn out as nice, smooth, and uniform as I would have liked. 

step 2: cut flowers from felt
Here, you don't want to be perfect.  Cut a wavy circle, and continue cutting a wavy spiral all the way to the center.  Then, just roll up the felt, secure with a pin (or glue) and viola! you have a rose.  I was surprised and impressed with my handiwork - lol!

step 3: arrange and pin (or glue) flowers on wreath
I decided to pin the flowers on the wreath so I can remove and adjust the colors for various holidays - won't that be cool!  I am already envisioning how to change it for Easter!

Mistake 2:  I did not realize until I was finished that I had pinned them to the back of the wreath!  This was quite irritating, but I was too lazy to unpin them and start again.  It is not obvious, and I am probably the only one who knows, but what I do know is that the other side, the front side, has the yarn wrapped neater - arrgghh!  

Anyway, I think I might like a cute holiday ribbon to hang it with next time, but over all, it turned out nice for a first attempt.  


And so, we have reached the end of my {s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine crafts} series!  
Thank you for enduring joining a non-crafter on this journey!
Happy Valentines Day to all of my bloggy friends!

6 comments:

  1. I meant to tell you testerday this looks awesome!! I liked it and even Terry said WOW, she did a good job with that!!! So, with that said I would like to have one with brown and turquoise flowers to match my new bedspread!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *yetserday lol the super-typer returns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sure post this after I had my friend's wedding shower yesterday! I love this wreath and will keep it in mind for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...