Saturday, February 26, 2011

80s Music Flashback {China Girl}


China Girl
by
David Bowie

Favorite Lyric:
I'll give you television
I'll give you eyes of blue

Flashback:  I wasn't a particularly huge Bowie fan in the 80s.   The main thing that pops in my head when I think back to him is his relationship with Tina Turner.  In fact, this song was only okay to me then, but not a favorite.  I preferred Bowie songs like "Let's Dance" and "Modern Love".  But, make no mistake kids, David Bowie was b-i-g in the 80s.

Flash Forward:  When The Wedding Singer came out in 1998, I noticed China Girl featured in the bar scene of that movie.  For some reason, it struck me.  I added it to my Totally 80s playlist and have loved getting lost in the music ever since.  

Favorite Part:  I can't decide what I love the most.  The bass guitar is AMAZING, but just when I think it's all about the bass, the lead guitar solo comes in at the end and I melt into an 80s fog of nostalgia and bliss.

Interesting Fact:  Stevie Ray Vaughn plays lead guitar on the track - who knew?!

The video is quite strange, but you can watch it here...or just for fun take a peek at one of the most HIGHlarious covers I have ever seen!

Happy Saturday!
She says....shhhhhhhhh

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE 80's music. I guess that shows my age. Oh well. No biggie. I also love The Wedding Singer. I love that it's chock full of 80's music. Brings back great memories. My FAVORITE band was Duran Duran. MAN, I loved them. Still enjoy listening to their music. I also likes, don't laugh, New Kids On The Block. I'm actually going with 2 of my friends to see them in concert this summer. Okay, go ahead, you can laugh!
    Anyway, stopped over from Shell's. Glad I did. I'll be back!
    Mich

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...