Thursday, January 13, 2011

{s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine craft} v.1

{s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine crafts}

valentine's day decorating series, part 1

B has been begging me to decorate the house for Valentine's Day, so I have decided to look for s.i.m.p.l.e. ways to add some valentine cheer to Casa de Mann.   I am not a crafter, but I have been inspired by my fellow crafty bloggers to give it a try. This week I am starting a  {s.i.m.p.l.e. valentine crafts} series, where I will be posting all of the details in our valentine adventures!
***********************************

This is a simple idea that I tried with my kids.  It could be developed more, but I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible. 

For this craft I used these materials:
  • small wooden heart cutouts (29 cents each at Jo-Ann's)
  • "love" wooden cutout (99 cents at Jo-Ann's)
  • ribbon
  • red craft paint
  • sponge brushes
  • glass vase (dollar store)
  • small branches, sticks
  • hot glue
  • newspaper

First, I put dots of paint on the wooden pieces and set them out on newspaper.
Then, the boys used the sponge brushes to spread the paint.
I didn't really specifically plan to use the sponge brushes, but as it turned out, they were a perfect choice.  It was easier to spread the paint and way less messy that it would have been had they used a brush.
The boys did an awesome job and I only had to touch up the edges.
B found  branches in the yard and I arranged them in the vase.  We glued the ribbon to the back of the hearts and tied them to hang from the branches.  
Sorry I don't have pictures of the assembly... 
I found it hard to manage the supplies,  a 4 year old, a 3 year old, and the camera!
I did buy some moss that I could put in the vase, but as it turned out I liked the way it looked with just seeing the branches through the clear glass.  I also tried tying the ribbon around the vase as well, but I thought it was too much.

Anyway, it turned out okay, and it looks good with the other Valentine decor I have in the kitchen.  Look for a post on that coming soon!

**********************************************
Also - This craft was indirectly inspired by Lisa Leonard's Branches in Urns.  Of course hers are much more beautiful and detailed than this simple thing, so check them out!

Are you crafting anything special?  
Head on over to Home Sweet Farm and link up!


5 comments:

  1. Very cute, and I like how easy it it. My 2-year-old could help me with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project. Turned out great...too cute:)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. turned out very cute! I LOVE Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I usually don't do much decorating for Valentines since I go all out for Christmas but this looks like a great way to get the kiddies involved.

    https://jennoreilly.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! And I love how easy it is too.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...