Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Challenges


Sorry - this is a long post!  Really I just needed to record my thoughts on a few things, so I won't be upset if you pass or skim it - lol!

So, this year, our Church has issued a Bible Challenge for everyone to read the Bible - all the way through. I have read and studied the Bible, memorized scriptures as a kid in Awana, but I have never sat and read the whole thing through.

When I first heard of this challenge, I thought, "No thank you!"  First, I am already committed to leading a weekly Bible study group at our Church and I usually have a personal Beth Moore Bible Study going on at all times, so I was not really looking to take on any extra readings right now.  

Second, I am the type of person who does not need to read the Bible unattended.  I am great when I am reading a Bible study with commentary, background, application, and cross references, but I get sideways when I just try to read it.  It usually brings me nothing but doubt, stress, and confusion.

I even went through a period in my adult life where I questioned and challenged the validity of some parts of the Bible.  I think it is not uncommon for people to go through these times, especially as "life happens".  I have written before about being "on a break" from the God and the Church.  Now that I have been back in Church for almost 2 years, and have been back in regular Bible Study, I have come to an informed conclusion and I can attest to this without a doubt...
the more I read and study the Bible, the more I know that it is in fact valid, the inspired Word of God.
Okay, so I wasn't going to participate, and was pretty sure I had plenty of reasons as to why I couldn't, but they kept mentioning it at Church and on our social media networks, and then after hearing several people talk about taking the challenge, both at our Church and in other places - I caved in, and went online to commit to the challenge as well.

Since I know the methods that have not worked for me, I went in search of a new way to hopefully offer me the best chance for success.  I think if I had all of the time in the world, I would like to read the chronological version.  But, I barely have any extra time at all.  Many people are using the online versions, at OneYear and YouVersion, but I am on the computer enough and don't wish to add any other technical constraints. So, I decided on this one...
This book is small, about the length of a pen, and fits nicely in my hand and my purse.  I have enjoyed the fact that I can take it anywhere and have been reading while waiting in lines, at doctor's offices, at hockey practice, etc.  To be so busy, it is amazing how much downtime you can find during the day in between events.  It only takes about 10-15 minutes to complete each day's reading.
The arrangement includes a section from the Old Testament, a section from the New Testament, something from Psalms, and something from Proverbs.  I like this format as it provides a well rounded experience with the Word.

Okay, so I am hooked and enjoying it and am willing to admit I was wrong in thinking this was not for me at all.  Of course, it is still only January, so I have 11 more months to go...hopefully it will work out - I'll keep you posted!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Good morning from Tokyo!

    I just have to say this was a very inspired post. My daughter used to love to curl up and read her children's Bible, but stopped a while back because she felt it was to "young" for her.

    Much like you, I tend to feel overwhelmed by the vernacular when reading the actual Bible as well. I want to read the Word, to understand and grow closer to my God, but I feel very discouraged and honestly, bleary-eyed, when I try to open my regular Bible.

    What a wonderfully happy medium this pocket Bible must be! I must order one for myself and Eldest so we can both read and share.

    Thank you so much for sharing this post today!

    My best to you and yours...

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one that has the bible set up to read through the year by date. I made it until September before life took over. One Year I need to go back and work on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...