Sunday, January 2, 2011

Book Reviews: What I'm Reading Now

It is pretty typical for me to have several books going at once. Prior to having the boys, I could sit and finish a book in a day. These days, I have to eek out time here and there. 
 Here are the books I am currently reading:

Bringing Up Boys
I am LOVING this book!  I am about half way through it and already I HIGHLY recommend it if you are raising boys - especially if you are like me and have come from a family of girls.  So far, I have learned about the importance of our role as parents, and about the biological and chemical stimuli causing b to stuff everything in the toilet!
I LOVE Beth Moore Bible Studies and I LOVE history "stuff".  I am in Week 2 of this historical study and it is quite interesting.  In the past, most of the studying I have done has been in the New Testament.  I am really enjoying this Old Testament study!  The more I study the Bible, the more I see how valid and true it is, regardless of what the mainstream media and new age folks would say.  I will admit, I had doubts and questions, and this last year I dug into 4 Bible Studies and at some point it just "clicked" with me that God's Word is TRUE.  



A sweet friend gave me this book.  I am about half-way finished with it as well.  It is all about how a man has an innate need to be respected (whether he deserves it or not) and how a woman has that same kind of need for love.  I can appreciate the principles outlined in this book, and they are directly tied to scripture as well.  I am not sure I totally relate to this "love need" as I have always been so independent, but it totally makes sense.  It is based on Ephesians 5:33 Each one of you must love his wife as he loves himself and the wife must respect her husband. So far I have learned about how the "Crazy Cycle" caused by a lack of love and respect can trouble your marriage.  Now to this, I can totally relate!

I will report more as I finish these books and give a final review.  What are you reading?

5 comments:

  1. Finished "Love and Respect"...I called it the "stupid book", respectfully! Redundant...but good stuff. Could have been condensed...but we (my husband and I) were obedient and finished it and graduate the class at church on January 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaappy new year!! I wish you and your family the very best. Thank you very much for your wishes. I love reading too. I love Elisabeth Gilbert. I recently read "Eat pray love". Another great book is "The time traveller's wife" of Audrey Niffenegger.
    I'll be reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!!

    Anything by Beth Moore or Dr Dobson is going to be great!!

    I am reading my newest cookbooks! lol
    My favorite is The Poineer Womans - LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't been reading anything lately, but I need to get back to the two books I started a few months ago. Wild at Heart: the art of nurturing boys and Sacred Marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Patriarchs looks reall interesting. My friend attends a church where they have done bible studies with Beth Moore's books and I know she likes them as well. I've never read her books, I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...