Tuesday, January 4, 2011

80s Music Flashback {Melt With You}

I love 80s music.  If you didn't live it, you can't ever really "know it" the way we did.  It was a different time. 

There used to be a Saturday morning radio show called "Flashback" which played old music and gave commentary on the old songs.  This was before the days of the internet and satellite radio which now allow you to pull up anything at any moment.  
In honor of my upcoming 20th class reunion, I have decided to have my own 80s Music Flashbacks to share the music that defined our lives.  I hope you will set your flux capacitor for 1980-something and join me for these weekly posts!

This Week's Song:
Melt With You
Modern English

Hit the charts in 1983
Featured in the movie Valley Girl

Favorite Lyric: Moving forward using all my breath
Chorus: 
I'll stop the world and melt with you

(I'll stop the world)

You've seen the difference and it's getting better all the time
(Let's stop the world)
There's nothing you and I won't do
(Let's stop the world)
I'll stop the world and melt with you
The future's open wide

Flashback:  This song has an awesome 80s feel and reminds me of the days when we were "slam dancing" and drinking Zeltzer Seltzer at the old Bradley Theatre downtown.  I am certain my hair was in a side ponytail, or pulled up on one side with a barrette.

Flash Forward:  When B was born, in 2006, I played music in his room every night, and this song was on our playlist.  There, in the softly lit room, I would hold him and dance with him in my arms, singing to him.  It was truer than ever for me.  I wanted to stop the world and melt with my new baby, and I wanted him to know that his future is open wide.  
Tonight, as we were driving in the car, and listening to 80s on 8, Melt With You came on the radio.  B said, "Hey Mommy, that's my song from 3 years ago!"  I smiled and listened to him singing along.  I still want to stop the world and melt with him and b.

You can listen to Melt With You here

Do you have any memories of this song, or suggestions for future Flashbacks? 
I'd totally love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE 80's music. i remember standing up in the backseat (back before seatbelts were such a must) and singing and dancing to all of the music on the radio as my mom cruised down the road. I seriously thought i would become famous one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did I! There was something about that time that was so hopeful - like you could grow up and do or be anything! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That show was on Sunday mornings in Memphis but it has been a while since I had the radio to know if it is still on.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...