Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Simplicity

Okay, so it's not summer. Strawberry Shortcake seems to belong to summer, doesn't it? Well, truth is, we wanted something sweet, but are so sick of all the HEAVY holiday food, so we opted for something lighter and healthier. Here's how we make it at our house...
Ingredients: Syrup (mainly for the kiddos), ReddiWip (I usually get Fat Free), Strawberries, Shortcake Dessert Shells (I am not brand particular, but they must be spongy and fresh!)
Now, I know many people use the frozen strawberries, but I just cannot deal with them. They are often soggy and seem "less like" real strawberries. We add the syrup to help accommodate for the "juice" you miss out on by not using the frozen.


We like making these because they include fresh fruit, and they are easy for the kids to put together - without too much mess, time and effort. It is simple!
Just, line up the cakes on plates...

Slice the strawberries...
Begin assembling! Put strawberries on the cake...
Add some syrup - if you must!
Top it with whipped cream...
And there you have it! Strawberry Shortcake made by a 4 year old!
And here is the one my 12 year old niece made - sans syrup - good girl, Miss P!
And here is the one I made - sans syrup, add bananas - yum!
How do you make your Strawberry Shortcake?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog, Raising Knights. I'm following you also.
    BTW, have you ever tried adding a little sugar to the strawberries and letting them sit for a little while to make their own juicy syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy! Thanks for the visit/follow and comment!
    I do know about how you can add the sugar, and I have intended to try it a few times - but I am horrible at planning ahead in the kitchen and usually forget! Maybe I'll try it later today - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a simple dessert! I'm with you - strawberries have to be fresh and I can do without the syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love simple things especially desserts. I am with your niece and no syrup.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...