Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Health Check

I have been on Lipitor to treat high cholesterol for about 13 years. At the time I was diagnosed, I was in my 20s, thin, walking 4 miles 5 days a week, and eating a lowfat diet. The doctor said it was probably just genetic. I told him I did not want to take a daily pill, he told me that if I wanted to live very long that I would. Alrighty then!
Later, in my 30s, I went off of the medication with my 3 pregnancies, but after b was born, my doctor took some blood work, called me and said, "This MUST be addressed." So I went back on the Lipitor.
Well now, I seem to have a new friend - enter high blood pressure. My blood pressure was so high recently, the dentist would not clean my teeth. Yes, I said dentist - apparently they check your blood pressure now before breaking out the buzz brush. Mostly, my blood pressure shoots up due to stressful situations, but lately it seems that those or more common than not. I cannot stand the thought of having to face more daily medication, so before I resort to that I am going to try a few things to see if I can get it in check...


Eat 1 banana daily....some experts believe potassium benefits from 1 banana a day can help to lower blood pressure.
Drink 1 glass of Orange Juice daily...it is believed that the vitamin C benefits along with folic acid and potassium, can help keep blood pressure low.

Drink less caffeine. I drink a LOT of coffee. A LOT. Caffeine does not even keep me up anymore, as I can drink a Venti Starbucks and take the best nap ever. I am going to try to cut back to 1 cup of real coffee in the morning and decaf for the rest of the day. I don't mind decaf at all. I once gave up caffeine altogether - WORST HEADACHE EVER. My heart is not into going cold turkey right now, but I can certainly cut wayyyyy back.


What about you?  What new things are you trying to keep your 
Health in Check? 
Link up and share!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I've made a lot of changes in the way I think about food over the 8 years and strive toward a lifestyle that focuses on whole, traditional foods as much as possible.

    You mentioned that you were put on Lipitor when you were eating a low fat diet. Here is an interesting read concerning healthy fats:
    http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/01/huge-but-easy-step-towards-a-nourishing-diet-stick-with-traditional-fats-part-one/

    Blessings on your journey to better health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christy! This is a great article! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on cutting back on the coffee. I hope that helps you out.
    I am working on getting some more weight off in 2011 and eating better.

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...