Thursday, October 21, 2010

Seriously?

So I saw this on another blog yesterday, and if I can track back and find it, I will kindly come back here and add the link, but anyway...this is a picture I took at our local Barnes & Noble today.... Teen Paranormal Romance? Seriously?

Okay, I read the Twilight books - and saw the movies. I liked them just fine. Team Edward, Team Jacob, I am still on the fence. Today, however, I was just amazed in looking at this rather large section of influential reading choices for teens. There are TONS - and I mean TONS of books about teens who are "dead" but still living and interacting with the living. Some are trying to find a way to be alive again. Some are alive, but trying to become undead like their undead love interests. Tons and tons of these books that paint a fantasy out of being dead and in love.

I have always been an open-minded person, not wanting extreme censorship, embracing the arts and creativity, but all of a sudden I found myself standing there. Bothered. Now, to be totally honest, I am not sure what disturbed me most, the storylines of these novels, or the question lingering in the back of my mind, "Am I becoming old and fuddy-duddy?!??"
I had the intention of buying a book for my 12 year old niece, but did not feel comfortable with any of these. They seemed to romanticize death and afterlife so much and all I could think about was, "but what about the kid who doesn't know God?" To the Christian-raised, overall normal, somewhat stable teen, these books would be nothing more than engaging in harmless fantasy, but what about that troubled teen, who has no foundation in Christ? Will these types of stories make a relationship with Him seem unnecessary? I also don't like the idea of young people becoming obsessed with thoughts of death and thinking that it is not "final" and serious. Because it is.

I know it is a fad. I know it will probably pass. But I still wonder, "Am I becoming old and fuddy-duddy?"
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Kimberly SchlabachOctober 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM

    I don't think you are becoming an old fuddy duddy and it you are I am too. I think teens see already blow their problems up & in their short lives they are huge. So many of them see suicide as an option and don't realize it is a final solution to a temporary problem. I don't think death should be glamorized for teens. I agree with you 110%!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am one of about 12 people that just couldn't get into the vampires/dead love movies and books of late. But it's no surprise that they have a whole section of "paranormal romance" dedicated to teens. Honestly, my first thought was, "I wonder if Libby will get into all of this when she's a preteen and ask me questions." Hmm, hope this fad is long gone by then!

    Vampire peace and love!

    ReplyDelete

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...