Friday, October 2, 2009

Where Do We Go From Here?

The other morning, I heard the old Alan Parsons Project song, Games People Play. This song has a rather haunting melody and begins with the lyrics, "Where do we go from here, now that all other children are growin' up?" I have not heard that song in years. Immediately, I got that same creepy, eerie feeling that I always used to get when I heard that song as a kid. It was one of those songs that scared me because it made me really feel how fleeting life is, and how before I knew it, I'd be old and dead.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the original release date of this song - it was 1980 - which means I was 7 years old. I spent a lot of time in those days, especially at night, worried about things like my parents dying, my family members dying, death in general, nuclear war, the end of the world, etc. I don't think I was the only kid who worried about those kinds of things. I hope I can always remember this, and never take for granted the worries and concerns of my own children.

Linked here is one list of 80s songs designated as creepy. I am not sure that I agree with the choices they included. In fact, some on that list are some of my favorites!

Here are some songs that used to give me that icky feeling. Do you have any you could add to the list?
  • Dust in the Wind - Kansas
  • Heat of the Moment - Asia
  • Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
  • Wishing You Were Here - Chicago
  • I Wish We'd All Been Ready - Larry Norman (This one probably freaked out everyone, especially those who were also subjected to that movie at church - what were our parents thinking?!)

1 comment:

Kerri says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I LOVE reading your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...